If you've ever wondered if artists run out of inspiration after spending years and years on such a small island, look at these two photographs. They are the taken under different atmospheric conditions, with different shutter speeds. One is farther back from the other, but they are taken of the same subject. The wind and light are always changing on Block Island, and there is beauty everywhere. That's the biggest thing.
Here is an incomplete (and growing) list of artists and art organizations on Block Island. Much of this information is derived from the "Block Island Art Trail Map” and used by the permission of the Spring Street Gallery. You can download the map here.
As you view these websites, you will find the wonderful work that artists on Block Island have created. You will also learn about the artists themselves – what they love about what they do and why they choose to do it here. So please explore these sites and when you’re on the island, come visit our artists and galleries. You may find some kindred spirits and may find in some of their work, a lasting expression of what is most beautiful and meaningful about Block Island.
- Ben Wohlberg - abstract painting, by appointment only. (401) 466-2004. benwohlberg.com.
- Block Island Blue Pottery - functional and fanciful pottery. www.blockislandbluepottery.com. (401) 466-2945.
- Block Island State Airport - Marilyn Bogdanffy mural and monthly exhibits located on Center Road.
- Dunn Town Studios - terracotta, pottery, custom woodworking, furniture, by appointment only. (401) 466-2278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Farmers' Market - local produce, baked goods, arts and crafts. 9 - 11:30, Wednesdays, Manisses parking lot; Saturdays, in the park across from the Power Station. facebook.com/blockislandfarmersmarket .
- Grace Bochain Luddy Photography - fine art photography, books, e-Books and other writings about Block Island and about life in general. Her work is represented in photos you see here in this site and also in her photography site: aphotographersday.com. Her work is available at the Spring Street Gallery; her book is also available at Island Bound Bookstore.
- Greenaway Gallery - Malcolm Greenaway photography, by the Empire Theater. malcolmgreenaway.com/gallery.html. (401) 466-5331; (800) 840-5331.
- Historical Society Gallery and Museum - vintage photography, maps and art. blockislandhistorical.org. (401) 466-2481.
- Island Bound Bookstore - art supplies, art classes, and many books of poetry, prose and art work, written by Block Islanders. islandboundbookstore.com. (401) 466-8878.
- Jessie Edwards Gallery - painting, photography, island pottery and art glass. Above the Post Office. jessieedwardsgallery.com (401) 466-5314.
- Marilyn Bogdanffy - painting, by appointment only. (401) 466-2726.
- Sean and Leslie Hartnett - stone and ceramic sculpture, by appointment only. (401) 466-2310. seanhartnett.com, lesliehartnett.com.
- Spring Street Gallery - painting, photographs, pottery, sculpture, jewelry by Island artists. Across from the Manisses. springstreetgallery.org. (401) 466-5374.